Saturday, September 28, 2013

September Spraying

I've gone out twice recently to spray more roundup.  Not a fun activity in my opinion.

I'm curious about how this is going to impact the knotweed next season.  Will the stuff just grow right back up and continue to spread, or will the spraying at least slow it down?  I can't imagine it's dead from one spraying, but we'll see.  Within a week or so of spraying some of the plants look quite dead!  Even without leaves though, many stalks still seem more alive than dead. 

So I've hit all of the regrowth in the slash and stack sections.  I know some of these sections weren't cut until late August, but still I was surprised there wasn't more regrowth already.  I think the very first section we cut back in late July showed quick regrowth, but the later stuff less.  Makes sense.  Early August weather was pretty prime for plant growth.

I've now treated the entire perimeter zone of the property, and along the road.  It's quite a jungle in some of the spots along the brook!  The slash and stack sections had the benefit of a more open area to spray.  Thicker sections were often impenetrable and could only be sprayed on the edge.  As I sprayed the second and third times more and more on the outside was dead with no leaves, making it possible to spray deeper.

Pictured is a cluster, just off the road, that has been blooming all summer.  I had sprayed it once, about a week before the picture, and was curious to see how it was responding.

No comments:

Post a Comment